It’s the penultimate week of this year’s market season. Early morning frosts have started to affect some of our growers’ crops, so be sure to keep an eye out for items like local heirloom tomatoes and zucchini. They might not be available for much longer.
However, some ends are also beginnings, and a few growers like Song Sparrow Farms already have big, plump pumpkins and acorn squash available.
Today’s free KERNEL activity was supposed to be Fun with Fungi, but it’s been changed to a really cool demonstration of transpiration, which is how plants absorb water and let it evaporate from their leaves. Kids will get to see transpiration in action and then do a coloring page. As always, every participant will get $2 in KERNEL Cash for spending on fresh fruit and veggies once they’re done.
BECU will be back with their giveaway booth to promote their new Spokane branches. Drop in at their booth for smiles and goodies and remember to give them a shout out with the #BECULife hashtag on social media.
For music, we’ve got a new band called Armed and Dangerous. Although they’ve been working on original music of their own, today they’ll be doing covers of classic rock.
Here are all the vendors who are currently scheduled to join us today:
- The Father’s Table: Neighborhood-grown produce.
- Song Sparrow Farms: Fresh, locally grown produce, including melons. Also does a CSA.
- The Farm Yard: Neighborhood-grown fruits and vegetables. Some craft items.
- Woodard Family Farms: A variety of locally grown produce.
- Vladimir Kuzmenko: A wide variety of co-op produce from across Washington State.
- Riverfront Farm (Project Hope): Neighborhood-grown, scattered-site produce.
- Where the Wild Things Grow: Wild-harvested fruit.
- Other vendors also sell homegrown produce alongside their primary goods.
Meat & Honey
- Sunny Springs Gardens: Berkshire pork sausages and ground pork.
- SnowBerry Ridge Farm: Raw honey and beeswax products.
- The Scone Ranger: Scones that are so good, so moist, so habit-forming.
- Sister Bees Kitchen: Handmade, gourmet granola and granola bars.
- Morning Sun Bakery: Cinnamon rolls, pies, cookies, quiche, savory pies.
- Made with Love: Startup bakery with made-from-scratch fruit pies, bars and more.
- Black Fire Kettle Corn: Fresh-made delectable kettle corn.
- D’s Roasted Nuts: German-style roasted nuts with cinnamon and sugar.
- Simply Sweets: Baklava, soft brittles, truffles, mints and seasonal products.
- Mary Beauregard: Plastic canvas needlepoint.
- KC Creations: Original photography, greeting cards, beaded earrings and other beaded items.
- Sailor Girl Soap & Supplies: Face, bath and body products handmade with natural and organic ingredients.
You can RSVP to this week’s market at its event page on Facebook.