Plenty of firsts at today’s beautifully sunny market!
Spokane handyman Kevin Oxley is going to be there with a booth for his non-profit organization, which carries out free handyman projects for disabled veterans. We’d love to encourage any disabled vets to come down during market hours and have a chat with Kevin to see how he can be of help. More info on Kevin and his organization can be found on his website; KHQ also did a brief story on him back in May.
Joining us for the first time under the band canopy are the Blue Water Strangers. This local six-piece plays fiddle, banjo, guitar, mandolin and dobro to conjure up some great old-fashioned toe-tapping Americana music. Check out this playlist on YouTube for a sample.
We’ve also got a brand new meat vendor starting today: WalkingT Beef. Their all-natural, grass-fed and (non-GMO) grain-finished beef has earned them a loyal following across the Spokane area. You can buy select cuts of beef at the market—don’t worry, they can help you choose the right one—or you can place advance orders to reserve bulk locker beef. Be sure to ask them about it.
KERNEL has a fun new kids activity too. It’s called “Bugging Out.” Kids will learn some cool and interesting facts about garden insects, then get to make their own googly-eyed ladybug out of craft paper with the help of our volunteers. Like all KERNEL activities, it’s totally free, and every child will get $2 in KERNEL cash for spending on fresh fruit and veggies once they’ve completed it. And word is that Berry Basics will have some delicious fresh-picked blueberries and strawberries today.
Returning this week is West Central Community Center WIC. They’ll be handing out FMNP vouchers to area WIC clients. These supplemental vouchers have a cash value toward fresh fruit and produce from select vendors. If you’re a WIC client and haven’t already claimed your market vouchers, please come down and sign up to receive them!
Unfortunately, it looks like the Master Gardeners have had to cancel their plant activity today due to staffing. But they are still scheduled to be with us next week for our National Farmers Market Week celebration.
Here are all the vendors who are currently scheduled to join us today:
- Song Sparrow Farms: Fresh, locally grown produce, including melons. Also does a CSA.
- The Farm Yard: Neighborhood-grown fruits and vegetables. Some craft items.
- Woodard Family Farms: A variety of locally grown produce.
- R.P. Guerrero: Organic tree fruit and more from the Wenatchee area.
- Vladimir Kuzmenko: A wide variety of co-op produce from across Washington State.
- Riverfront Farm (Project Hope): Neighborhood-grown, scattered-site produce.
- The Father’s Table: Neighborhood-grown produce.
- Berry Basics: A wide variety of local produce with an emphasis on berries.
- Where the Wild Things Grow: Wild-harvested fruit.
- Other vendors also sell homegrown produce alongside their primary goods.
Meat & Honey
- Sunny Springs Gardens: Berkshire pork sausages and ground pork, plus eggs.
- SnowBerry Ridge Farm: Raw honey and beeswax products.
- WalkingT Beef: All-natural, grass-fed, non-GMO grain-finished beef.
- Sandi’s Bakery: Fresh-baked pastries, cookies, scones, muffins, breads and cupcakes.
- The Scone Ranger: Scones that are so good, so moist, so habit-forming.
- Morning Sun Bakery: Cinnamon rolls, pies, cookies, quiche, savory pies.
- Sister Bees Kitchen: Handmade, gourmet granola and granola bars.
- Seely Teriyaki: BBQ teriyaki chicken, stir-fried noodles and rice.
- Black Fire Kettle Corn: Fresh-made delectable kettle corn.
- Eco-wise: Perennials and landscaping plants.
- Heeling Hands Massage Therapy: Licensed chair massage and whole-body wellness.
- Soap Simply: Handcrafted olive oil soap.
- Sailor Girl Soap & Supplies: Face, bath and body products handmade with natural and organic ingredients.
- Mary Beauregard: Plastic canvas needlepoint.
- KC Creations: Original photography, greeting cards, beaded earrings and other beaded items.
Feel free to RSVP to this week’s market at its event page on Facebook.
We look forward to seeing you there!