It’s Labor Day Weekend, which is a great time to squeeze in a summer’s-end barbecue and enjoy the bounty of Washington-grown produce.
So stop in at the market on this cool Friday afternoon and pick up some food for grilling, such as zucchini (yep, it’s delicious when brushed with oil and grilled) or sausages made from locally raised Berkshire pork. There are also peak-season tomatoes, potatoes and early harvest apples for salads or desserts.
For even more locally farmed variety, Catholic Charities Food for All Farm is joining us for the rest of the season starting today.
Emerson-Garfield’s own Bryant McKinley (aka Mr. Spokaloo) will be our musical entertainment. Bryant plays classic hits and makes a single keyboard sound like a five-piece band.
The KERNEL booth is scheduled to be hula hooping into back-to-school season today. They’ll be teaching kids how to hula hoop or letting them show off their skills if they’re already experts. It’s totally free to participate, and kids who complete the activity will get $2 in KERNEL Cash for spending on fresh fruit and veggies from our vendors!
The Emerson-Garfield Neighborhood Council will also be handing out a limited number of dump passes worth $20 each. They’re available to Emerson-Garfield residents and can be used to offset the cost of heavy loads when you’re cleaning out your garage, attic or yard. Come to the market info booth with valid ID to claim yours.
Here are all the vendors who are currently scheduled to join us today:
- Catholic Charities Food for All: Local, community-farmed produce.
- Song Sparrow Farms: Fresh, locally grown produce. Also does a CSA.
- Woodard Family Farms: A variety of locally grown produce.
- Riverfront Farm (Project Hope): Neighborhood-grown, scattered-site produce.
- The Father’s Table: Neighborhood-grown produce.
- Where the Wild Things Grow: Wild-harvested fruit.
- Other vendors also sell homegrown produce alongside their primary goods.
Meat & Honey
- Sunny Springs Gardens: Berkshire pork sausages and ground pork.
- SnowBerry Ridge Farm: Raw honey and beeswax products.
- The Scone Ranger: Scones that are so good, so moist, so habit-forming.
- Sister Bees Kitchen: Handmade, gourmet granola and granola bars.
- Morning Sun Bakery: Cinnamon rolls, pies, cookies, quiche, savory pies.
- Made with Love: Startup bakery with made-from-scratch fruit pies, artisan bread and more.
- Black Fire Kettle Corn: Fresh-made delectable kettle corn.
- Seely Teriyaki: BBQ teriyaki chicken, stir-fried noodles and rice.
- Soap Simply: Handcrafted olive oil soap.
- Sailor Girl Soap & Supplies: Face, bath and body products handmade with natural and organic ingredients.
- Mary Beauregard: Plastic canvas needlepoint.
- KC Creations: Original photography, greeting cards, beaded earrings and other beaded items.
Feel free to RSVP to this week’s market at its event page on Facebook.
We look forward to seeing you there!