We’re just a few days away from September, which means that we’re smack dab in the middle of peak harvest season here in Washington State.
Tomato varieties—heirloom, cherry, plum, you name it—in a rainbow of colors are available from many of our vendors, including Song Sparrow, Farm Yard and Berry Basics. Tasty, hearty squashes such as patty pan are available from vendors like Woodard Farms. And if cooking squash is a new experience for you, they gladly provide free recipes and preparation advice. That’s one of the many advantages of a farmers market over a supermarket.
Tomatoes aren’t the only rainbow at today’s market. The free KERNEL activity is called “Eat a Rainbow.” Kids will learn how a colorful plate is often a sign of good nutrition – and then they’ll get $2 in KERNEL cash for spending on fresh fruit and veg to put their new knowledge to the test!
Neighborhood musicians and Spokane Public Radio favorites Jones & Jones are returning to perform this week. Seely Teriyaki is also scheduled to be back with delicious Asian comfort food to eat at the market or take home.
Here are all the vendors who are currently scheduled to join us today:
- Song Sparrow Farms: Fresh, locally grown produce, including melons. Also does a CSA.
- The Farm Yard: Neighborhood-grown fruits and vegetables. Some craft items.
- Woodard Family Farms: A variety of locally grown produce.
- R.P. Guerrero: Organic tree fruit and more from the Wenatchee area.
- Vladimir Kuzmenko: A wide variety of co-op produce from across Washington State.
- Riverfront Farm (Project Hope): Neighborhood-grown, scattered-site produce.
- Berry Basics: A wide variety of local produce with an emphasis on berries.
- The Father’s Table: Neighborhood-grown produce.
- Where the Wild Things Grow: Wild-harvested fruit.
- Other vendors also sell homegrown produce alongside their primary goods.
Meat & Honey
- SnowBerry Ridge Farm: Raw honey and beeswax products.
- Sandi’s Bakery: Fresh-baked pastries, cookies, scones, muffins, breads and cupcakes.
- The Scone Ranger: Scones that are so good, so moist, so habit-forming.
- Sister Bees Kitchen: Handmade, gourmet granola and granola bars.
- Morning Sun Bakery: Cinnamon rolls, pies, cookies, quiche, savory pies.
- Made with Love: Startup bakery with made-from-scratch fruit pies, artisan bread and more.
- Black Fire Kettle Corn: Fresh-made delectable kettle corn.
- Seely Teriyaki: BBQ teriyaki chicken, stir-fried noodles and rice.
- Eco-wise: Perennials and landscaping plants.
- Soap Simply: Handcrafted olive oil soap.
- Sailor Girl Soap & Supplies: Face, bath and body products handmade with natural and organic ingredients.
- Mary Beauregard: Plastic canvas needlepoint.
- KC Creations: Original photography, greeting cards, beaded earrings and other beaded items.
Feel free to RSVP to this week’s market at its event page on Facebook.
We look forward to seeing you there!